Eastern Kendo

A blog on the Eastern Kendo Club and Kendo related issues.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Eric and Ken, you'll love this.

Top Ten No Sympathy Lines for college students.

Examples:

This Course Covered Too Much Material...

Great! You got your money's worth! At over $100 a credit, you should complain about not getting a lot of information. If you take a three credit course and get $200 worth of information, you have a right to complain. If you get $500 worth, you got a bargain.

The Expected Grade Just for Coming to Class is a B

This belief seems to be making the rounds in some college circles. The expected grade for just coming to class and not doing anything else is a D or an F. The average grade is supposed to be C although grade inflation is a perennial problem.

Unlike Lake Wobegon, all the children in the real world are not above average.

I Disagreed With the Professor's Stand on ----

The time to deal with this issue is when it comes up in class. I have no respect for anyone who complains on the course questionnaires.

But the professor might put me down, or the students might laugh at me. Not too likely, but even if it happens, so what? If you don't have courage in the safe setting of a classroom, when exactly are you planning to develop it? When your boss asks you to falsify figures or lie under oath? When someone throws rocks through your minority neighbor's windows? When the local hate group burns the synagogue?

Some Topics in Class Weren't on the Exams

The point of a class is the material, not the exam. The exam is a check to see whether you learned the material.

Do You Give Out a Study Guide?

Hmm. The textbook simplifies a vast amount of material, then I simplify it more in lecture. Then you want me to extract the most important ten per cent of that and put it on a study guide, so if you know most of it you can get an A.

So what you're saying is the cutoff grade for an A should be 10%, right?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what the hell does this have to do with Kendo?

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, crap. Clayton found my blog. Hi, Clayton, aikido master!

4:22 PM  
Blogger eric said...

Alright, who is this Clayton character anyway? I think these have everything to do with kendo especially in the course that is offered at Eastern. I also find them completely accurate. I have many more that I could ad. One being. You mean I really have to buy the book. See you tonight.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clayton is my home boy that I used to work with, we're always talking shit to each other. And martial arts, too, I'm pretty sure he attended a Family Tournament or the Detroit tournament once or twice.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home