Eastern Kendo

A blog on the Eastern Kendo Club and Kendo related issues.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Cleveland recap

This year's Cleveland tournament was a great success. Eastern kendo did extremely well at promoting our kendo to dojos from a different federation. The team matches were great and we succeded in getting by University ofChicago to be defeated by NYC Kendo. It was great to see everyone there. The best thing for me about the tournament was seeing Troy, Jack and David fighting with adults in the mudansha division. Troy got through his first opponent as well with great kendo. A big congratulations to Troy and David for getting third place in their division. Way to go guys. Also, congrats to Soo for passing her shodan exam. Good job everyone. As for shimpanning, this years tournament was pretty easy to judge with good solid kendo from everyone participating. The tournament was extremely long however, over 12 hours, and that did not make very many people happy, but it was still a great day for kendo and a great event for Eastern. See you at practice.

6 Comments:

Blogger eric said...

testing testing one two three

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear the tournament is still going on, and they are changing the name to "The Cleveland Eveready Challenge". I encourage everyone to attend and test your skill fighting while the lights are being turned off.

12:20 PM  
Blogger eric said...

I agree. The lights went off to Nathan's tsuki. What power for a mudansha. I was quite impressed. As to Ken's comments, shodan is a completely new level and I am glad that you are thinking in those ways about kendo. It was an extremely long day and anything anyone can do to make it through is good. I got lost going back to my frineds house and did not get there, only 15 minutes away, until 11:30 man I hated Cleveland at that point.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Charlie Kondek said...

I'm so glad you made this post, Eric, I was looking forward to hearing about it. Twelve hours. Damn! Tests the kendoists mettle as much as the actual fighting, I'm sure. Good comments, guys, I sure missed being there.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say, it was nice that David taped the match. I saw him go for men and just winced reflexively. When my eyes opened, the kensen was stuck under his men...

Videos should be up now...

8:22 PM  
Blogger Charlie Kondek said...

Hold center, right? Haha!

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home