Eastern Kendo

A blog on the Eastern Kendo Club and Kendo related issues.

Monday, April 10, 2006

All Michigan Practice

Hello All,

We had a great time at MSU with all of the Michigan kenshi. Thanks goes out to MSU for hosting and Tagawa sensei for leading the practice. I must say that slowing the cuts down to the extreme basics with suriashi is extremely difficult and your real kendo comes out. For myself, this has been a great way to figure out what I still need to work on. It is really amazing to see a hachidan do the basic cuts so perfectly that you are embarrased to be doing the kendo that you are doing. I know that this is what is supposed to happen but when you slow it down it becomes so much clearer that we all have a long way to go. Thanks to everyone from Eastern that went, I hope that you got a chance to practice with new people. Also, it is pretty amazing to me that Michigan Kendo has grown so much in only one year. It was great to see everyone. I hope that everyone can make it to the Family Tournament which is on Sat. May 13th. Forms are on the website. See you all on tuesday. Cheers!

2 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Kondek said...

You know what I would love, is if anyone has notes to please share them here. I'll add some more later, I went home and wrote down my thoughts and tried to record what we went over. Great stuff. If you attended this practice please throw a few words up here about it.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Charlie Kondek said...

Thanks, Ken.

Let's recap. We covered:

Seiza
Kamae
Kihon
Cutting with empty hands ("kamae up, kamae down") to practice cutting with shinai in hands
men-kote-doh, kote-men, tsuki

^all broken down into movements

Then we did all these basics in suri-ashi, which as Ken described it was "like rolling back the couch" to see all the detritus underneath. Showed a lot of habits. Great exercise, and one Tagawa-sensei wants us to try at our home dojo.

Okay, then basics with fumikomi, including oji-waza = counter attacks.

Uchikomi-geiko vs. kakari-geiko

Jigeiko

What'd I miss?

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home